Start: November 27th, 2023
End: November 27th, 2023
This workshop, organised by the OTTERS project, focuses on legal issues around water-based citizen science and engagement (including GDPR and citizens’ privacy).
The workshop is an online event that will take place on 27th November 2023 at 14:00 CET.
Key topics of discussion will be:
- Data protection and privacy risks and challenges, with respect to marine and freshwater related citizen science piloting.
- Autonomy, dignity, informed consent, trust, asymmetries of power, fairness, gendered innovation, equity and direct or indirect discrimination.
- The cross-border character of the OTTERS project.
- Applicable or emerging legislation and anticipatory compliance requirements.
- Introduction - 5 mins
- Key legal considerations in marine/freshwater, in relation to the Water Framework Directive (WFD) & Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD), 15 mins - Professor Georgios Sylaois (Democritus University of Thrace, Greece)
- Practical legal concerns when carrying out citizen science campaigns, 10 mins - Zoi Konstantinou (European Commission DG Maritime Affairs and Fisheries / Digital Twin Ocean)
- Data protection and management in water-based citizen science, 15 mins
- Co-creation workshop on the legal recommendation/guidance for citizen science projects in marine and freshwater domains, 45 mins
The OTTERS project promotes societal transformation for marine and freshwater stewardship through scaling up citizen science, and supports the coordination of citizen science initiatives focused on water.